Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I can make Mexican food

Hello!

Happy birthday Mom, I hope it was super fab.

yesterday was a really good day at work. I did stuff, did a good job doing that stuff, and had fun doing it.
this is a picture of my editor, Paul:



and this is a picture of me pretending to be an editor:



after work I came home and me and Eric started putting together our fabulous Mexican feast.

I had soaked some pinto and kidney beans overnight, which were then ready to be crushed and shaped into refried beans. I used a potato masher to smoosh the beans halfway in the pot they'd soaked in while I heated up the skillet.

I used onions from the roast we'd made earlier in the week, and some pre-minced garlic mush, and sauteed them in butter for a minute or so before adding the beans in slowly and further destroying their natural form with help from a wooden spoon. I also added heaps of salt. I thought it was too much salt maybe, but it was not. Once they were all done and cooked, I added some water to give them a nicer texture.



nom nom nom.

I also made some flour tortillas. They turned out absolutely fantastic... and definitely easy enough that I would make again.

Flour Tortilla Recipe

I used the recipe for "Chewy Flour Tortillas" and followed it almost exactly, although I only sat the dough for 10 minutes and then 15 minutes, because I was really really hungry. It did make 8 tortillas, but two of them are a bit runty. So I'd go for maybe 6 tortillas instead of the 8 that the recipe recommends.



Cooking them was easy... once the skillet heated up, it was probably less than 30 seconds per side before they were quite nicely browned.



Eric cut the tomatoes and made the margaritas... I don't think I took any pictures of the frozen margaritas though. We had been using pre-mixed margarita stuff but recently we bought lime cordial and triple sec and it's muuuuch better than the pre-mixed stuff.



you can also see my cute little macbook in the background! I love you, macbook.

The plan was to make burritos, so along with what I've already mentioned we also had rice (I cooked it in chicken stock and some burrito seasoning, and then added corn later... it was pretty bland though so I'd spice it up next time or skip it altogether), lettuce, sour cream, chicken (from the leftover roast... I warmed it up in a dry skillet and added heaps of burrito seasoning, was very yum), and... I think that's it.

This is a picture of the feast laid before us:



you can even see our margaritas in our fabulous margarita glasses. Wholesale restaurant supply stores are awesome.

There are HEAPS of leftovers, too, which helps make the effort of home-cookin' worthwhile. It will do Eric's lunch today, me and Eric's lunch tomorrow, and probably our dinner tomorrow as well. I can't have any today because it's my on day.
Strangely, although I've been talking a lot about food I hadn't even thought about eating any or being hungry. I'm already doing a good job I guess.

Anyway the mexican was delicious and it was really fun to cook with my boyf.
You guys should definitely have a go at making homemade tortillas and refried beans... but use beans from the bulk bin instead of canned beans, they are much better for you and if you use the water from boiling them to smooth out the texture in the end, you get even more nutrients... which I didn't get to do because I just drained out all the water, but oh well. Next time! And there shall definitely be a next time.

The only downside is that we used about 50 craptons of dishes. This isn't surprising, since every time I remember having Mexican, we've always had tons of dishes... but I should have taken a picture of these because seriously, I don't even know how we used that many dishes. It's amazing.

Overall rating:

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious! Mexican food always makes tons of dishes, even if you use paper, all the dishes in the cabinet will jump out and dirty themselves. I think they do it to help you work off some of your calories from eating the stuff.
    Loved all the pictures! Missing you!

    ReplyDelete